Aloha, Hershel:

Interesting, you described almost word for word what I went through on my mac.. the business about pg_ctl not working is mysterious... I have the same problem... but I *can* start postgresql now with this:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

and it works fine.

good luck.

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com