RC wrote:

Question:

How do changes on individual cards in different copies of a stack in each
user's RAM get made to the copy resident on disk? There is not, to my
knowledge, a way to save changes on one card of a stack without overwriting
the entire stack. So if I open a stack before you, Jacque, and Kurt do,
wait until you all close the stack, and then save it, the only changes to
the original stack will be mine.

Kurt:
I'm actually concerned about two things here.
The first is that the single (standalone) stack being used now contains about 900 record cards, and is about 13 MB in size. I'm concerned that it might gradually become unwieldy during saves. It already takes an unacceptable amount of time to save over the Windows network. I'd also rather separate the app and the data so that if something goes wrong, the data is still relatively easily accessible.

The second is that by dividing the records, the only restrictions are that no more than one user can work on a single record at a time, all the others being available. I initially thought that the individual records could be stacks, but ended up using text files instead for the ability to manually edit if needed. I've got it working (with "busy" marker files); now I have to test it on the real network (as opposed to my Mac with VPC at home).

I will keep in mind the folder limits of the OS (in this case Win XP Pro):
-Appears to be 65,534 [combined folders/files] per folder on FAT32; and 4,294,967,295 per volume [no folder limit specified] on NTFS; however the practical limits would be slightly lower ;-)

-Kurt