(Sorry folks, this is going off-topic, I think. But I'll post just in case someone has a suggestion!!)

Could it be a licensing issue? Does QT7 require a new Pro license to script some features?

Richard - I don't think that is it. They have definitely changed stuff. I don't have things to hand at moment, but here's one thing I can remember off the top of my head that causes us real problems...

We are manipulating some large QT movies using Applescript/QTPlayer. e.g. taking an NTSC size movie with an alpha channel (very large because it requires the use of the "none" compressor) and adding a second movie behind it, then adding a sound track, cropping as necessary. Now with Panther/QT6.5 we could then save this file "with dependencies" to make a movie that was literally just a few k in size (i.e. very quick to save) This was easy to do, because the default save option in QTPlayer was this form.

If we wanted to remove these dependencies we could save the movie with the AppleScript command "Save self contained". This takes a long time and produces very big files (>1Gb). This has all changed. The default option is now to save self contained, but there is no applescript option to "save with dependencies", so like it or not, we always end up with *massive* files that take ages to save! (if any kind soul does have any suggestions on this one, I'd be soooooo grateful. This is a bit of a killer for us.)

I'm pretty sure they have also changed the way in which QTPlayer applescript stores internal references to open movies (but I might be wrong here, memory going in old age)

Chris

We have a bunch of Applescripts that we fire from from SC that are broken under Tiger. These are all to control and manipulate movies with QTPlayer. Apple actually seem to have changed the syntax for scripting with QTPlayer. Ughhh. I suppose this is a QT7 issue rather than Applescript per se, but still it goes to show that nothing is safe...

Could it be a licensing issue? Does QT7 require a new Pro license to script some features?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation