Hi Stephen,

I have seen Xavier answer.
Unfortunately, it does not work with Mac OS: you can't prevent text deselection when popping up a menu.
But ;-)
Only a "not really satisfying" workaround:

Set the hiliteColor of your field ("#B5D5FF" for standard Mac OS for instance).
Then, in the script of your field:

on mouseDown pButton
  local tChunk
  -----
  if pButton = 3 then
    put the selectedChunk into tChunk
    if word 4 of tChunk > word 2 of tChunk then
      set the backcolor of the selectedChunk to the hiliteColor of me
      popup btn "MyMenu"
    end if
  end if
end mouseDown
on selectionChanged
  set the backcolor of char 1 to -1 of me to empty
end selectionChanged

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.