Hi Keith,

What's the very simplest way to build a basic card database stack which needs to be used by more than one person at once?

This is a simple data capture tool which creates a new card for each chunk of data that's entered (details on a new product) and spits out a tab-delimited text file to be sent off to another organisation for their use.

There's probably no need to alter existing data, but it would be necessary to let the user browse through previous entries. Easy enough: previous/next, popup menu listing the cards by product title, etc. We're talking just hundreds of items here, with simple sub-categories to keep browsing manageable if it grows much beyond that. But here's the twist...

It is likely to be left open on someone's screen, but it is also likely to be needed by one or two other people at the same time.

It's not clear to me if more than one user needs to add new cards to the app. If they do not, just publish the app on the network and only allow write access to the person responsible for updating.

Assuming your needs are not that simple, you must script a means of coordinating updates to the database among different the different runtime instances of the app. One method is to use a "control file" which a user must gain control of before updating the db. This allows you to avoid using interprocess communications for coordination; but it is more vulnerable to data collision. The other alternative is a client-server approach, which avoids data collision by funneling all db access through a server app. This is my preferred approach; but it involves scripting for interprocess communication. The client-server approach is exemplified in SDB <http://wecode.org/serendipity/>.

One other note, either method also requires a mechanism to allow one user to lock a record to prevent others from changing it while she is working with it. SDB allows both explicit (ie: by record) and automatic (ie: last record accessed) record locking.

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company