Revolution with simple scripting and stack structure, yes; MySQL, no. Not yet, anyway. :-)

I was under the assumption that this was a shared database project. If it's just the same app on the same machine, then a card-metaphor thing would work. If it goes on the network like that, one user could use it at a time, but would require connecting to the network or leaving it connected with a shared folder.

If you are getting into psueduo-database with multiple users at once and sharing kludges on a network, you are already out of the 'simple' category anyway. I was just relating my experiences finding 'simple'.

It couldn't (yet) be done using an external server (although I'm fairly confident that this is how it will work in the long term), and the internal IT management issue (political again) means it won't be something set up within the network either. Again: yet.

So you might to spend a lot of time on code that will have to be upgraded later for the network.

I can't suggest anything to do about silly IT political restrictions.

Thanks for the info on the Dreamhost feature for limiting SQL access by IP address. That's achievable using PHP anyway,

But you wanted simple. This is just their interface using a feature of the SQL server.

but it is handy to know of services which deal with this sort of thing for you.

MySQL server handles this; it's a feature.

sqb