Charles -

One thing you can do (which I'm doing for text in cross-platform training screens) is to set up your text on your platform of choice in your font of choice, then snapshot it. In the stack you distribute, show images only, not actual text. It'll display perfectly, guaranteed, without any consideration of whether or not the target machine has your particular fonts installed.

FWIW -
Phil Davis

Charles Hartman wrote:
I'm reviving an old Hypercard tutorial on English Metrics -- how to scan metrical verse in English. It contains lots of scansions, which have this general form:

    x      /   |  /       /   |  x  (/) |  x    / |  x (/)
    A sight so touching in its majesty

As you can see, the spacing of the two lines _in relation to each other_ is critical.

I'm finding that when I close and reopen my stack, the spacing of the upper (scansion) line is sometimes off -- too condensed or too spaced out. I set the Font for the whole stack file to Palatino. I'm also not sure if that's a good idea, because I haven't yet been able to ttest whether it will work on Windows. I'm developing on OS X.

One solution is to put all the scansion-line-pairs into Courier -- monospaced, universally available, and really ugly. Another is to do all the scansions as graphic images, but there are hundreds of them.

Is there a better solution?

Charles Hartman
Professor of English, Poet in Residence
Connecticut College