It's always refreshing to come back to this list.

I've been on a journey exploring financial models for open source and Creative Commons content creation and community building... currently involved in applying the concepts talked about here to open software and digital film and video content production.

And of course Revolution is the heart of this for me - the Revolution will not be Televised - currently playing :)

The ransom model is one way of phrasing this, while there is much talk in Creative Commons circles of "alternative compensation systems". For my part I prefer the term "commissioning currencies" or "creative currencies" - these are secure digital currencies which can be used in complex collaborations designed ultimately to create open software, while in the process ensuring that developers get paid or at least a fair slice of any revenues that the project creates.

I am currently in Vienna and working for a new startup Community TV Station with parallels to Current TV in the states (launching August 1st). Over the next 2 months we will be working to embed a secure currency framework within Revolution to allow just this sort of collaboration.

Currencies are not the only element required to make this work, a robust legal framework (based on LLP or LLC partnership models) combined with good project management infrastructure is also needed to avoid dilution of value (quality) and an open but legally robust dispute resolution framework are also needed if this sort of collaboration is to seriously facilitate quality software or creative content production.

Continue the  thread!