At 2:55 PM -0400 8/10/2005, Rodney Somerstein wrote:
This application is going to require a scripting language. My understanding is that Transcript isn't a viable scripting language for this purpose (correct me if I'm wrong, please) because there are limits as to how much can be done on the fly from an imported script rather than one built into the stack. For example, I don't think that I can have a user write a script that could be imported as a module into a Revolution stack and executed without limiting that script to 10 lines. Since a game could have several hundred pieces including cards, game boards, scoring tracks, decks of cards, etc. that need to have rules set for them, how can I go about this?

Can you provide a built-in library of commands, functions, and properties for game scripters? With this, your users could do powerful things - say, change the color of all pieces, or set the permissible moves for a piece - without having to use lengthy scripts. Most of the scripting would already have been done for them. (It would be quite a bit of work to write a library for game scripters, but it has to be easier than trying to implement an entire programming language for them.)

And I second Geoff's suggestion to get in touch with Kevin and inquire about whether you can make special arrangements as to script limits.
--
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.jaedworks.com