Alex Tweedly wrote:
And I think there's a serious point about "using Rev all the time ..." - I find Rev frustrating in trivial ways when I switch between it and Python too often (stupid little things like writing a whole section of script like
    myVar1 = empty
   myVar2 = "this string"
before having a "Duh!" moment and re-writing it all properly with "put"). That's entirely my fault - I know how to do it in Rev, and I know not to blame Rev for my strong habits - but it can be frustrating.

xTalk is a radically different paradigm from most other languages, and indeed carries much "unlearning".

To help ease the journey for those familiar with other lanuguages I would advocate an OPTIONAL assignment syntax as you describe.

As an option, xTalk purists could continue to write as they always have without ever needing to even think about it.

But by having the option available, a lot of habits useful in a majority of other languages become an asset in learning Rev rather than a liability.

Today and for the future, we can expect that the largest group of new Transcript adoptees will be coming from a background that has some experience with at least one other language, and it won't be an xTalk as with yesterday's audience.

Options that bridge the gap for today's audience will be very beneficial to RunRev, and by extension the rest of us regardless of which syntax options we prefer.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal