Yes, regardless of the name of the file. I've checked three PHP references I have and they all say the same thing. PHP is viewed as embedded in an HTML page even when there are no HTML tags around. So if you're sending the browser a dynamically created page that contains -- or even consists entirely of -- PHP script, then you use the header text/html. I've tested this here and it works.

So I'm not sure what you mean by "thanks for answering anyway...." implying that I'm wrong. Maybe you've uncovered contradictory information?