If I might just interject a thought about indexes.

The way I want to search for information when I don't know what something is called or even if it exists, is narrowing by categories. I would want a list of 10-20 broad categories. And for each broad category, a new list of categories would pop up, etc...

That way I could search based from the concept level to more specifics until I was in a narrow range of subjects that had my topic.

Not everyone knows the specifics of what to call something or how to phrase their question, but picking this way would make finding things much easier, and might even allow one to find alternative ways of solving the problem.

The key to success here is that items in the index could appear in more than one place based on the concept being chased down.

Dennis