I have a friend who's the production VP for a book publisher that does a lot of eBook stuff. He tells me this is only possible on OS X with Adobe inDesign ($700 SRP) and even then there's a bug in inDesign that means that once you've auto-generated the TOC and bookmarks you have to review them all and tweak some or many of them.

David, I'm going to contact you off-list about your project when I get this current issue solved.

Dan