Hello Eva,

Whether you can implement your game in Rev depends on what exactly you have in mind, of course. Communication over the network is pretty fast with Revolution. Xavier mentioned ChatRev, which is indeed a good example of how to communicate between standalones over the network or the internet. It easily handles a few dozens of users and I expect it to handle more than 100 users without any problems.

Since I am no longer updating the computer stuff on my wanadoo account, you'd better download my ChatRev client at

<http://economy-x-talk.com/chatrev.html>

rather than from the link posted by Xavier. Bjoernkes version of the chatrev clien is available at

<http://chatrev.bjoernke.com>

A scrolling screen is easy. Just make a scrollbar and add a script to set the scroll of the card. Even easier might be to create a group and give it horizontal and vertical scroll bars. Set the lockLoc of the group to true and use the geometry manager to let it resize with the card. I believe that the geometry manager is incompatible with Metacard. So, you may want to write your own script for that.

I very much agree with you that Malte's Arcade Engine Tutorials are very good. They contain quite a few very neat tricks for animation in Rev. The AE itself is a very useful and stable addition to Revolution.

Best,

Mark

Eva Isotalo wrote:
Hi everybody,

I am new here and am not a Revolution user yet. But I am using MetaCard and used to be on the MC list long time ago. Don't think anyone remember me though. :o)

Before eventually getting involved with Revolution I need a little clarification. It has to do with game development.

1. Can Revolution handle a multi player environment?
Up to 20 players would be enough for my needs. Keeping connection between cards and stacks. Sending information between clients/server/clients. I have red some tuts on handeling databases which gives a hint it ought to work.

2. Can one have a scrolling screen?
The card is larger than the visible play area. Character stays in the middle while the rest is scrolling.
----------------------------

I want to send a thank you to Malte Brill for an excellent tutorial and work on the Arcade engine.
It made me curious if Revolution may be of use to us again.

Eva Isotalo

--

eHUG coordinator
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please inform me about vacancies in the field of
general economics at your institute. I am also looking
for new freelance programming projects.