Message: 1
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:22:17 -0700
From: TJ Frame <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: another yucky geometry question
To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution@lists.runrev.com>

Hi everyone,
 Does anyone know a good place to look for ( or know of any example stacks)
that might shed light on how to plot an ellipse inscribed within a 4 sided
polygon like in the examples I created here:
http://www.tjframe.com/EllipseExample.htm
 I can handle the polygon, as well as finding the midpoints of the lines,
the center of the polygon etc. ..just not sure about fitting that ellipse
inside it. Curse my math - resistant brain!
 Any pointers would be, as usual, greatly appreciated :)
  - TJ

TJ,

Tough problem. It would be difficult even to make it a well-defined problem, i.e. a problem with a unique solution.

Given an ellipse which fits inside a given quadrilateral, one would always rotate the ellipse a bit and fiddle with it a bit to find another. And only in a special case would the ellipse be tangent to the quadrilateral at the midpoints of the four sides.

Do you want to do this dynamically in your stack or just illustrate some examples? Would it help to fit bezier curves inside the quadrilaterals?

Jim