David,

Had a go with the Profile Manager - but not managed to get it to work
reliably

The problem I have with using the Profile Manager is, AFAIK, there is no way for the user to add a new profile at runtime; so you're stuck with the languages set up when the app ships. Updating menu & menuItem names, tool tips, dialog prompts, error messages, etc. from a file, local or global variable allows your app to be user-translatable -- not limited to support for built in languages.

BTW, I use icons with translatable tool tips in place of label text fields. I think it gives my apps a more international feel.

Also, it's fairly simple to design a translation stack that opens a text file, displays the contents one line at a time above an empty field where the translator can type the text in another language, and saves the completed translation in a new file. This is much friendlier than telling the user, "Use you text editor to translate the language file" me thinks.

You might check out how Serendipity Library does it (including the translation substack) <http://wecode.org/serendipity/>. To do so:

* Download sdbTools.rev and place it in the Revolution PlugIn folder
* Download Serendipity_Library.rev and place it in the folder you use for Revolution development & testing * Download Serendipity_Library.sga, and expand the archive using sdbTools' "Expand a Folder" menuItem under "File"
* See the Read Me stacks in the archive folder

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company