I have a customer for a new app who can't load a QuickTime file, yet I
can load the same file here without difficulty, and it works well on my other Mac, and on our tester's Mac.

The error occurs when I set the filename of the player to the selected
file, the result returning "could not open movie file". Not very descriptive, but that's all I have to go on.

I've tried the file both from my local volume and a second partition.
The customer and I have the same OS version (OS X 10.4.3) and QT version
(7.0.3), and of course the same version of the Rev-based app.

The file name is short (about 12 characters), so I can't see how it
could be related to the known issue with long file names.

To help diagnose this I made a very simple test app, with one button, one field, and one player, with this script in the button:

-----
on mouseUp
  if the optionKey is "down" then
    set the filename of player 1 to empty
    put empty into fld 1
    exit to top
  end if
  --
  answer file "Select a file:"
  if it is empty then exit to top
  put it into tPath
  set the filename of player 1 to tPath
  put the result into tResult
  --
  put "system="& the systemVersion &cr& "QT="& qtVersion()&cr into tData
  put "machine="&machine()&cr &"Processor="&processor()&cr after tData

He reports the same error in this test app, with this log file:

   system=10.4.3
   QT=7.0.3
   machine=unknown
   Processor=Motorola PowerPC
   Result=could not create movie reference
   sysError=-5551
   File=/Users/xxxxxxxxxxx/Desktop/audiofile.aif
   duration=0

Any other clues as to how I might diagnose this?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation