I am one of those free HC to paid HC to paid SC crossgrade to paid Rev enterprise crossgrade to paid Studio downgrade to paid DC to paid DC upgrade. My gosh, I have owned one of every license! Personal circumstances kept me from ever using the first Enterprise license, and I would never have purchased it for $1K. I first purchased it at $300 with an early SC crossgrade promotion. I dare say that I would never have gotten going with RR if they had not changed their pricing policy. I think they have the right basic set of products/prices now. A bit of tweaking might make a few more people happy. If someone can not afford even the $100 for DC, let them use the $1K MC that is now free, then buy DC or studio if they want the latest IDE and features. The price of DC is right. The price of Studio is right. The price of Enterprise is right. Having the full spectrum is right. Get a great hobby product with little personalized support from RR for low cost --on par with the entry level consumer products of major companies like Adobe. Want expensive professional support, pay for a professional license. Totally fair! I am a happy camper, and very happy with RR product policy. However, I must point out that without this list RR would likely die. This list is the life blood that makes it possible for them to sell any cost product without impossible support problems. Value of this list --Priceless!

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way (it is not meant to slight any of the truly appreciated professionals on this list), but if I were a professional programmer that was happy to pay $1K initially and upgrade my support every year (because it saved me money in my business), I would frown on RR offering a lower cost version to hobbyists. My reasons would be selfish --I don't want RR to get distracted with another market segment and possibly lesson their focus and support of my needs, or worse go out of business because they misjudged the other market.

However, I don't think this is the likely case. I think that they are more likely to stay in business with the current model --it is the model being used by the most successful companies today. They are growing (I assume) slowly as the product matures. At some point I expect this model is going to propel them forward into a larger company that can offer better general support and product bug fixes (I think bugs cost more to fix than adding minor new features), while continuing to support the professionals needs.

I expect to continue upgrading my DC every year and perhaps upgrade my Studio if I find I need to make a stand alone (which I have never needed to do). My needs are met by DC for now, but I want to support RR so that they continue to fix bugs and add useful features.

My two cents.

Dennis