That works if you click the close box, but doesn't get sent if you select Quit from the menu.

I also tried this:

on shutdownRequest
   answer "Save data?" with "Cancel" or "Save" or "Dont Save"
   if it is "Cancel" then
       exit shutdownRequest
   else if it is "Save" then
   --do save stuff
   end if
   pass shutdownRequest
end shutdownRequest

It works, but if I select "Cancel" is exits the handler, but the next time I shut down, the shutdownRequest does not run - quits without prompting me . . .

This issue aside, it looks like I need to trap for the stack closing and for the Quit menu selection. I had thought that the shutdown message would handle both, but as i said, is unreliable when using the menu to quit.

Any wisdom for me? Thanks,

Marty Knapp

Thanks for your response. So where would you insert a script to ask the user to save data or not?

I'd go for the closestackrequest procedure.