Dear Ken,

I do hope that all of this doesn't add up to a programming principle I learned many years ago. On a different machine, even with the same operating system, a program can still crash for reasons which are not immediately apparent. We just have to test, test, and test again, on machines of all shapes and sizes. The problem might, for example, be one of timing. The machine I used to create the widgets is a particularly fast one, with a dual processor. If your machine is slower, this might somehow cause problems.

Another interesting piece of data is the fact that although the widget stacks and standalones work perfectly here on my machine using Win XP Pro (SP1), I have Windows ME installed on the same machine, and the widgets don't run at all under Win ME! All kinds of crazy things occurred. For example, a simple call to a handler on card "Card3" from the stack script just caused everything to freeze.

But before I go off and try to find other XP machines to test my widgets, I have a thought. I find it strange that you would have actually run the programs from Documents and Settings. In certain senses, this is a "special" folder that is protected in certain ways (but exactly how I can't really say). Please do me the favour of copying the the EXE and INI files to some other folder (e.g. C:\kentemp) and let me know if you still encounter the same problems.