It may also be possible to get that information from the operating system, but it may require writing an external, and the information is not always 100% reliable.

On Feb 16, 2006, at 8:00 AM, David Burgun wrote:

Hi,

I guess you could provide a Calibration function. Display a line of Size N Pixels and then have the user put a ruler to it and enter the size. Some screens vary in their horizontal and vertical DPIs, so you may want to display two lines.

You could perhaps build up a database of DPI for screens.

Just a thought.

All the Best
Dave

On 15 Feb 2006, at 00:04, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Peter,
Long ago all Macs used 72 DPI for screen resolution. Today it is more like 90 DPI but can be more or less. Flat panels may be over 120 DPI. And resolutions are bound to go higher as everyone tries to accommodate pictures and movies. More madness: most 17" screens and most 19" screens have the same resolution - so the DPI varies significantly depending on the screen where it is viewed. I would just design the at print resolution, 72 DPI (3" x 5" = 216 x 360).
Paul Looney

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter T. Evensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: use-revolution-lists.runrev.com <use-revolution@lists.runrev.com>
Sent: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:52:08 -0600
Subject: Screen DPI

What is the screen DPI. I know on Mac, it is usually 72. I'm wanting to create a pseudo-WYSIWYG card editor that lets you specify a size, like 3 x 5, and it displays an appropriately sized card for one to place text on. 72 on Windows seems a bit small. I was just wondering if anyone had a rule of thumb they used.

Thanks!

Peter T. Evensen
http://www.PetersRoadToHealth.com
314-629-5248 or 888-628-4588

Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
$

Signup at www.doteasy.com