It's typically better to use the installation solution provided by the OS when one is available -- user familiarity and so forth...

For Mac OS X, I found a free program somewhere called "Iceberg" which simplifies creation of OS X installer packages quite a bit. It's easy to use, and quite flexible.

For Windows, however, I don't really bother with the M$ stuff; I use Inno Setup. The interface should be familiar enough for most Windoze users, and the system is quite powerful. Inno Setup also gives you uninstallers "for free" - little or no extra work involved for you. Just make sure you get the package of extras, including the graphical IDE-type thing which makes creating the installers much easier.