Ken Apthorpe wrote:

Thanks Alex

I'll copy and paste that into my Rev tips file, so I remember it's a
parameter name.  I still do not understand how pWhich can tell that I've
picked a menu item like Quit (or Open, or anything else).
So, how does a pWhich identify what's been picked?  (you see the dimensions
of my ignorance).

Handlers (and functions) can have parameters - which can be named anything you like. If it's a built-in handler, then the documentation will tell you what the parameters are. For instance, the docs for menuPick say

Sent to a button when a menu item is chosen from the menu associated with that button.

menuPick chosenItem[|submenuName],previousTab

on menuPick theItem -- in a pulldown menu
  if theItem is "Close" then close the defaultStack
  else if theItem is "Quit" then quit
end menuPick

As you can see, this example uses "chosenItem" rather than "pWhich" as the name for the first parameter. Further on in the docs, it describes these parameters as

Parameters:
The chosenItem is the text of the menu item the user chose. If the menu item is part of a submenu, the menu item text is followed by a vertical bar (|) and the submenu's name.

The previousTab is the text of the menu item that was selected before the user chose a new menu item. This parameter is included only if the button's menuMode property is set to "tabbed".

So we know that the first parameter contains the text of the menu item chosen. You can therefore use it in an "if" condition (as in the docs example) or in a switch statement (as the menuBuilder does), or any other you might want.

Comment for Rev support:
I have to wonder why I had to go to a user forum and rely on helpful others
to provide this information.  If it's a convention (ie something "everyone"
knows, and follows) one can only wonder why it doesn't seem to appear in the
Rev dictionary.  I did a fairly thorough search, and I supposed it might be
a parameter (among other things), so I put in parameter as a search term and
scrolled thru the list of parameters, and failed to find it.  If it is such
a common convention, how come?
The naming convention is unofficial, and does not need to be followed. Not everyone follows it. It would therefore be misleading for it to be documented by Rev; as you can see, their own examples in the docs do not follow this convention (but I recommend you do - *one* full description of *one* convention is at www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html - other people use variations of it.

(In fact, there is lots of good stuff at www.fourthworld.com/resources/index.html )

Answer: Everybody knows this...
Reply:  No, they don't.... but if you want Rev to be scripting for the rest
of us, you'll have to make it a bit easier to find it out.

Thanks Alex.  As you can see, I have another agenda going here but I
appreciate all the help I can get.  I need lots.
Keep asking.

btw - I looked back at the Scripting Conference for Menus, and there is a description of building "main menus" in there - but it's under the title "Menu Bars", so you may not have seen it when you looked. It includes an outline script - but it's basically only the same as the outline created by menu, so you would probably still have run into the same issue with the proper format of the switch structure.