On Feb 20, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Ken Apthorpe wrote:

You are having a dream. You are in a different country, and there's a group
of locals around you all talking to each other.  It's an english-like
language, you catch individual words but they string them together in a very strange way. You stand there gawking and trying to understand. Suddenly
they all start jumping up and down and waving their arms around and
jabbering at you. Then they all start running away like crazy. You stand there trying to figure out what they were saying. It sounds something like

Hah! I recognize that! from a number of experiences, but one of them was this (trust me, there's a point, sort of):

I'm a writer at a *very* distinguished (if sparsely populated) writers' colony, in the Castle of H--, not far from E--, in the country of S--. (This is a dozen years ago.) I'm walking down the back stairs of the castle and come to a landing behind the kitchen, where the staff of the castle are sitting around and talking. I think they must be talking E-- (or G-- as it's otherwise known). But when I pause for a few seconds to savor the sound, which is lovely, I realize with a shock that there's a liberal sprinkling of English words, and then that they are in fact speaking English, not with the accent they normally use in speaking to American and English visitors but with the accent they use among themselves.

A dream I miss, by the way, and treasure in retrospect. Must be why I fool around in Transcript . . . Anyway it might account for a lot . . .

Charles