Robert Brenstein wrote:
For those wondering about those ._ files, here is the explanation from the "guilty" party, Apple itself:

For most files, these ._ are actually empty and in case of Rev stacks safely ditched.

So in all cases where the file has no resource fork (many Classic file, most OS X files, and just about all Rev stacks, MP3s, MPEGs, and more) it's merely a waste of time and space.

That Apple provides no option for the user to be able to decide whether this happens is an unfortunate design decision.

That Apple does this for files that have no resource fork is a bug.

That is, it would be a bug but another poster here already pointed out that no software vendor in the world 'cept RunRev ever ships anything with known bugs. ;)

Well, no, it is not exactly a bug in the way you present it. I simplified above (distorted the truth if you wish) saying that files are empty: they contain at least a single line with Finder info, like file type and creator, which is good enough reason to create that file even for files with no resource fork.

But many OS X apps (even some from Apple?) don't set the Finder info, relying on OS X's preference to determine type from the file type extension in the name.

But okay, it's not a bug per se. My main point there was having fun with the notion that no vendor except Rev has ever shipped any software with known bugs. ;) Of course there are enough examples that we needn't stretch to find more.

I still feel it would be useful to allow users to be in control of these additional files. It makes it cumbersome to use any non-Apple Flash drive, work with multi-platform networks, etc. Not allowing that control just makes Apple look bad, lending credence to the old lightbulb joke:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-January/028106.html>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal