Robert Brenstein wrote:
But many OS X apps (even some from Apple?) don't set the Finder info, relying on OS X's preference to determine type from the file type extension in the name.

Many don't but many still do. Many set both, type and suffix. :)

I still feel it would be useful to allow users to be in control of these additional files. It makes it cumbersome to use any non-Apple Flash drive, work with multi-platform networks, etc. Not allowing that control just makes Apple look bad, lending credence to the old lightbulb joke: <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-January/028106.html>

Well, yes, it would be nice, but then it would create new issues tot ackle. One one hand, to explain to users when to say yes and when to say no. On the other hand, to implement it in the interface cleanly.

I don't see it as all that atom-splitting. If I were appointed Resource File Czar I'd leave the default the way it is, and have an "Advanced" option in a control panel for people who want control over their Mac.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Managing Editor, revJournal