if I only indicate the file name then I get the same effect. If I add the path of the program then everything works fine

so
launch "/Users/tibi/Desktop/Monatsformat.pdf" does not work

and
launch "/Users/tibi/Desktop/Monatsformat.pdf" with "/Applications/ Preview.app" works fine

(I did not try the ~/file.doc version)

This is with a (swiss) german system.

Till