David and Richard,

Does it not also have to do with being able to discern subtleties of shadow detail on-screen? Uncorrected CRT Gamma (as per Win / Nix / Television) gives a very non-linear display and tends to compress the bottom 20% to black.

Images made in systems like this tend not to have any bottom-end information at all - it typically begins at around 20%, effectively reducing the dynamic range - not good for print - although possibly practical for consumer-oriented screen-based media.

Something else I occasionally wonder about though. Are todays LCD monitors configured to mimic the poor linearity characteristics of the old CRTs? I would guess they are, so as to be compatible with existing media. Presumably flat screens don't have the same inherent physical characteristics as a CRT? I'm interested to know what's done in that case.

Martin Baxter

David Glasgow wrote:
In the old days, 1.8 gave better print results - something to do with dot gains (?). That's proper commercial printing, not the stuff we do with desktop printers. I don't think it makes any difference now, but I could be wrong. If not, there are no obvious obstacles to Apple switching to 2.2.

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership

http://www.i-psych.co.uk