On 6/1/06, Bill Marriott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Kay C Lan wrote
Ok, look at the instance where you want to add/insert one line. You have
push at least one line off-screen and write the new information in. If you
are "paging" your screens it's not so bad. You can lock screen and it
happens pretty quick.

Yes, which is exactly what I do.

But what if you want to allow smooth scrolling up and
down, line-by-line?

My approach is definitely not 'smooth scrolling' - old data, blink, new
data. Left 10 columns of data, blink, Right 10 columns of data. I use
lockscreen all the time.

 Not so bad when you are working with a fixed-sized display grid,
but users really like to maximize their windows, display a lot of data,
and
whip the mouse around to different parts of the table.

I have the luxury of only having to worry about my own work preferences:-)

For all the shortcomings of the table object it's at least speedy to
navigate. Using the
on-screen-only approach would not be anywhere close to that.

Well I think this is a little along the line of ' 640K should be enough for
anyone'. I certainly felt I had to have 'tablelike' navigation until I
started working with really large amounts of data. I imagine loading a 8k
column x 500k row spreadsheet in Excel 2007 will not be a pleasant
experience:-)

Having discovered how to get my data to display immediately I've learnt to
live with the short comings of my stepped approach. I get the impression
(probably false) that I'm more productive because I don't have that initial
wait - but again this is only a factor for really large data sets.

The one-field-per-column approach works okay for fairly large numbers of
rows. Scrolling up and down is handled by a loop which sets the scroll of
visible columns and is fairly smooth. Scrolling side-to-side is handled by
scrolling the group. But the problem with the approach is that the scroll
gets wonky after a while of use; some users cannot scroll to the bottom
when
a large number of rows are present. And the horizontal scrollbar on the
group is hard to tame. And of course, I have to loop through each column
write data instead of just blasting out a tab-delimited line, which is
what
I'd prefer to do.

I've starred this thread so that I can come back when I have a bit of time
to run a test stack with this approach:-) I'll probably start with only 6
columns, so I don't have to worry about horizontal scrolling:-)

Thanks for the extra info.