OIC Jim. I think you've nailed it. A declared global does NOT show up in the globals UNTIL you put something into it! Brilliant! So is there a handler that gets triggered if I declare a global? If so, I can intercept it and auto-initialize it with a handler to null and never have to change a line of Foxpro code that checks for null globals! BRILLIANT!!!

I turned the message watcher on but cannot discern if any of the messages are the result of declaring a global variable. Still, this is workable.

Bob Sneidar
IT Manager
Logos Management
Calvary Chapel CM