On Oct 14, 2006, at 8:38 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Abbreviations are well documented in the Dictionary so I feel confident using them liberally, even in code for clients and in published libraries. Abbreviations are a useful feature of xTalks, and since they have benefit for the user I see no harm and some good in helping share awareness of the benefit of that feature.

I seems that one would lose the "English-like" qualities of xTalk when using abbreviations. Maybe "English-like" is only a crutch for new script writers and eventually it becomes an arbitrary language.

I practiced a little in some dummy scripts and it will take a while before the average time for typing 'cd' is less than typing 'card'. I make a lot of typos when using 'cd'. I can see that in the best cases 'cd' is faster, so there is some promise there.

Reading will take some practice. I skim over sections of scripts quickly and the English words help.

Dar