I just copy-paste the same button containing the same
script and the same icon reference to wherever I want
it to appear.

A word of caution here.

Though the use backgroundbehavior is a much safer option, the technique given here works perfectly fine for the use being described here, to copy and paste *buttons* on other cards.

Given what the good old metacard arrows look like, I suspect that one day or another you will want to replace them with better looking options. Note however that if you use this technique for buttons that are in fact images that you have designed with photoshop (or whatever)... you may be up to very bad surprises. When I wrote my first application, I got everything fine on my own computer... then when I shared it with others I rapidly got to learn that they couldn't get to see the nice looking buttons I had lovingly designed. In fact not that rapidly. It was only a few weeks later than I got a kind user let me know that he couldn't see any button on the screen (the other users simply gave up.... there was no way for them to know they couldn't see buttons as they were none on the screen).

To copy and paste *images* is dangerous.... a good strategy with image is the one that Eric posted on this list recently. Put all images in a "pix" (for picture) card or substack. Create a transparent button. Set the icon id of the button to the id of the image. Then you can safely cut and paste images wherever you want.

Best,
Marielle