Dar Scott wrote:

On Nov 13, 2006, at 12:41 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

  get there is a folder tName

This particular host is running Redhat ES4.

Does this boil down to whether 'there is a folder' works on Redhat?

(While you are thrashing, you might try putting quotes around the path.)

Quotes, no quotes, etc etc. All fails. It also fails on my own Linux server. But I think you've nailed the problem. If I put a file name after the folder with spaces, it does work. Ergo:

  there is a folder "/home/folder 1/" --> false
  there is a file "/home/folder 1/file.txt" --> true

So it looks like "is a folder" is iffy. It does work with my OS X Darwin cgi regardless of whether there are spaces in folder names, with or without a file name after the folder. It does not work on my own Linux file server (I'm not able to see what flavor they are running, I need to find out) and it doesn't work on the client's RedHat server. But since I'm going to be working with files rather than folders, I can check for the file existence rather than the folder existence.

Thanks to everyone who tried to track this down. All your input was helpful.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]