On 21 Mar 2007, at 15:17, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

Ok, if they don't have enough money to pay me now, then they can owe it to me, and, *if* and when they do make lots of money they can pay me then. How does that sound? I would charge £15.00 per hour, that's a lot cheaper than they are advertising their consultancy services for! Presumably the people at RunRev are getting paid a good salary or if not are being rewarded in terms of shares and/or the promise of money if and when they hit the big time.

I do agree with Dave's general direction (if not with the way he expresses it). We all pay RunRev money so they can produce a good product. It's not our duty nor our responsibility to do any testing on their behave. Actually it should be the other way around. If there's a bug we should get an easy accessible list of workarounds, until the bug is fixed with the next release of Rev, of course in addition to every Feature anyone requested.

On the other hand there's the open source approach. Users don't pay to use software, they commit time and effort to make the product better, so their own stuff based on the open source software gets better. Every user always puts equal effort into the open source foundation as into his own project. Bugs are fixed within minutes of their discovery, and every feature a user needs is implemented by that same user within even less time.

But alas this world is not perfection wonderland, bugs are hard to find and to track down, feature additions make a product complicated, and aggravate people who are used to the old way. RunRev is walking a middle ground here. In my opinion, it's crucial for their future to not adopt the worst of both the commercial way and the open source way, but to work out a methodic to get the strengths of both worlds. That is not easy for such a small company, but if they have a clear vision about how they want to interact with their customers, then it is possible.

Specifically, Bugzilla is a workaround for having no clue where bugs come from. Customers that find a bug are asked to make an effort to increase the product they paid for, and these bugs could linger for years due to time constrains. Unfortunately for everyone involved, that's how RunRev's software currently works. The existing system does not rock in any way. It's a patch on reality forced upon everyone by legacy, money and priority management, not more and not less.

Actually we started the discussion at cross purposes I think. I was talking about first level soak (stress) testing in the development process before the code is checked in, before it goes to QA and *way* before it gets to beta stage.

In hopes for a constructive discussion

Sounds good to me!

Björnke von Gierke

There are more ways of paying for something than money! Even if you only got a free T-Shirt or free hard copy of the manual it would be something. There really is no such thing as a free lunch.

Having said that, I really wouldn't mind doing the beta testing for free on a volunteer basis, but not as an expectation!

I signed up for the Beta Program a while back, but I heard nothing for months, then a short while ago I was contacted with the details, unfortunately I don't have enough time now. When I signed up I could have put aside a couple of hours a day.

All the Best
Dave