For no apparent reason, the fan on my
Powerbook will turn on. I open Activity Monitor and see that
Revolution is hogging the CPU with 40 - 70% of the CPU. I have no
pendingmessages, no throbbing default buttons, no players.

Whenever this happens I start closing stacks. Inevitably, it is when
I shut a palette that the Activity Monitor goes down to normal. Just
now it was after I closed the "Message Box" that the racing stopped.
Does anyone know about this? Is it a bug? Is there some handler
desperately trying to keep a palette frontmost that is causing the
problem? I don't have a recipe -- it is intermittent.

Seems like you found the cause: global variables can be updated at any time by any script, so the Variable Watcher posts messages to itself to
update periodically so it can show current values.

Sorry, but did you possibly misread what I wrote? Closing the Message Box (not the Variable Watcher) brought the cpu back down to normal. But I don't know much about the inner workings of Revolution, so maybe there's some connection between the Message Box and Variable Watcher that I don't know about.

Again, this issue is intermittent. But I've only noticed it with 2.8. Sometimes, closeing a palette that I created will slow it down. Twice, I think (not sure about this) closing the Application Browser slowed things down.

Anyway, has anyone else seen similar issues? I often run Activity Monitor while running Revolution and that's why I see these changes. Incidentally, the throbbing default button will consistently boost cpu use around 15 percentage points, a lot more than other apps with throbbing default buttons. (With other apps, I don't see any change when a throbbing default button shows up.)

Fred