Keep in mind that this script doesn't show one way or another when the image is actually visible to the user. In other words, does the following script line always execute exactly when the image is visible, or not, regardless of how long it took to display the image?

In any case, just to throw some more ideas out there - if time to display IS an issue, there are several different ways to go about showing an image which could potentially be compared:

## original method
show image x

## move onscreen
set the loc of image x to y

## undo/redo total transparency
set the blendLevel of image x to 0|100

## remove a graphic covering the image
hide grc "image_cover"

## set a button icon to an offscreen image
set the icon of btn "image_display" to the id of image "myImage"

Hope that spurs some ideas!

The following script showed a 5 megapixel image in 30 milliseconds regularly on my laptop. I did the test on an image that was 78x78 pixels and got an average of 8 milliseconds.

on mouseUp
    put the milliseconds into temp
    set the vis of img 2 to true
    put the milliseconds - temp