David Bovill wrote:

> On 28/05/07, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>> If you're referring to sub-components within a group which is acting
>> as a custom control, do you really want users to be able to rename
>> those? If there's a need, would it make more sense to do so as a
>> property setting of the containing group, where it could be managed?
>
>  An example for me would my my "tree view", or your "table view" -
> a user may place a couple of these on a card and then want to script
> them easily.
>
> Yes, they can refer to "the tree_Field of group 1". But this is
> forcing the user to use a new form of syntax which they may not be
> used to - so I'd like them to be able to rename the field to whatever
> they like - now the field is part of a group with a title with drop
> down menus and context menu for the lines... - that group is called
> the "tree view".

A matter of preference I suppose. Built-in compound objects like scrolling fields don't let you name the scrollbar control, but instead have you set a property of the field which in turn affects its attached scrollbar.

But if you find it easier to let the user address subcomponents directly, I see no harm in it.

For myself, when I make a compound custom control I treat it as a black box as much as possible, providing an API for its use and leaving what goes on under the hood up to the object.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Lead Programmer, ResearchWare Inc.