The problem I have with runrev is not open source per se but that with a paid model the incentive is for the developer to release "feature" updates that sound good to justify paying upgrade fees but that for the most part are not nearly as valuable to a developer as maintaining stable quality code. Mature open source on the other hand has the opposite incentive, stable code and only add features that people are willing to invest time in to get so you get a different evolution of features over time.

Like when was the last time RunRev updated the cgi engine for RunRev? How long do bugs go without getting fixed? The first day I tried serious development with runrev I found 3 bugs with no reasonable work arounds. End of project day one. I posted them and it took over a year before the first one got fixed.

I don't mind paying for software, but unless somebody besides the marketing director is deciding where to expend programmer resources you get a different product. So it is possible to get a powerful feature set but it takes visionary leadership and some courage to forgo the easy profits from rapid paid update cycles fir the long term profitibility of bullet proof code and well designed functionality. many times software starts out that way. Visionary technologists with the skill and determination to make good software but once the VC's and others get involved the vision gets lost and it becomes software by buzz factor. As an example of good paid software I suggest Google's sketchup. I have been a user for years and those guys agonize over every feature. At first I thought they over did it by not having enough features but with time
I find the simplicity makes the program all that much more powerful.

In my opinion when the number of new bugs exceeds a small fraction of the number of new features then the bias is way too much on the make new features side so we can justify a paid upgrade (which of course comes along with we don't support the old version anymore so if you want any bug fixes you have to get the new version with the new new bugs). The unpaid model of open source forces an economy of development resources that usually means power over hype. Whereas in the paid sphere the only thing motivating economy of development is discipline, a much weaker motivation.