David Bovill wrote:
Ken - what you suggest works...

but does wait with messages or wait for messages actually work? I have never
got it working - nor have I seen any example scripts with it working - and
the docs etc all point to doing it "another way" :)

I've used it with success. In one project, I had a stack that needed to show frames of an animated gif under script control. It had to wait between frames for an amount of time that was passed to the handler in a parameter. But at the same time, a user needed to be able to do other things, like click a button or leave the card. So I used a repeat loop that would play the frames while checking simultaneously for user actions. A simplified excerpt was something like this:

repeat with x = tStart to tStop -- a frame range
 if gFlag = true then exit repeat
 set the currentframe of img 1 to x
 wait myVar milliseconds with messages -- allows user actions
end repeat

If the user clicked a button, a mouseup was sent normally (which is what the "with messages" part allows) and the button script executed at the same time the animation was running. Depending on the user action, the button script either set the global flag "gFlag" so that the repeat loop would stop, or did something else while the looping continued.

--
Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [EMAIL PROTECTED]