On Oct 9, 2007, at 12:55 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

Trevor wrote:
The stack should reopen to the size it was prior to the user
clicking on the maximize button in the title bar.

This seems counterintuitive to me. If the user explicitly maximized the window, why would the window open to any other size?

True. So Notepad is a bad example. Take Firefox or IE then. If you close the application while a window is maximized then the window will open back into the maximized state. Clicking the 'Restore Down' button then returns the window to it's non-maximized size.

I couldn't find mention of this exception in the OS X HIG, so I went to check the behavior in TextEdit. Bad idea: TextEdit doesn't really honor any user size settings, at least not in any easily-discernible pattern. ;)

Behavior on OS X seems more random to me than on Windows. If I recall correctly OS X uses a concept of the User window state and the Ideal window state. When you click on the "+" icon in an OS X window the window toggles between the size the user has set the window to and the ideal size that the program sets. I'm still not clear on how it is *supposed* to work though. I just tried OmniOutliner 3 and the position of my document windows seem to be remembered but not the size.

In any case, I think we need an additional property in reorder to recreate this madness in our own apps.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems