Hi Shari,

Remove the stack from memory, before opening the new version.

lock messages
delete stack "Your Stack" -- remove from memory
go stack "Mac HD/Folder/Your Stack.rev"
put the xVersion of stack "Your Stack" --> 10
unlock messages

Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

http://economy-x-talk.com
http://www.salery.biz

Quickly extract data from your HyperCard stacks with DIFfersifier. http://differsifier.economy-x-talk.com

Op 22-okt-2007, om 0:44 heeft Shari het volgende geschreven:

This problem is buggering me. My app creates a preferences stack in some writeable folder (Preferences on Mac OSX and varying locations on Windows depending on the system).

I want to be able to replace this stack with a newer version if there is a need to.

The newer version has an xVersion number of 10, has been compressed and saved as the stackData of the application itself.

The older version (in the Prefs folder) has an xVersion of 7.

When the app launches it checks the versions, and discovers that the stack in the Prefs folder needs to be replaced. So it deletes that stack. In testing I have it answer someMessage and with the answer window open, can verify that the old stack is indeed deleted from the prefs folder.

It then decompresses the stackData of the app and puts it into binfile:prefsLocation. I know beyond a doubt that the stackData has the right version of 10.

But after it decompresses and creates the new Prefs stack, I check the version and it's 7, the same version of the deleted stack.

What am I missing? I had tried at one time to just have it copy a stack from one folder to another, each stack having a different name, having it copy and rename the stack, but no matter how I did it I kept getting that annoying "stack is already running, do you want to purge it?" dialog. So I thought to try the compress/ decompress/binfile approach instead.

I am using the same compress/decompress/binfile code that I have already working with another stack. So I know this code is good.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is there a way to read the compressed data and verify the xVersion before it actually creates the new stack?

Shari