if "UserPrefs" is in the stacksInUse then stop using stack "UserPrefs"
  delete file prefStack
  put decompress(the stackData of stack myAppStack) into \
     url ("binfile:" & prefStack)
  revert stack "UserPrefs" -- reloads the new one
  start using stack "UserPrefs" -- if you want

I changed to your suggestion above.  Same problem as before.

However, as a test I quit everything, and without actually launching my stack, decompressed the stackData into a new stack to verify that the source is good. When I did this, I got the new version as expected. No "UserPrefs" stack was opened before the decompress into url. And the created stack was as it should be.

I'm experimenting a bit more. I'm not sure, but revert might make the right stack appear in the Prefs folder, however, it prevents the entire project from loading and not one stack ends up loaded including the pref stack. Baffling.

Shari

--
WlND0WS and MAClNT0SH shareware games
BIackjack GoId