A Useful-Thing...selected by Dennis Cummins.

Actually, this week we present TWO Useful-Things to our members.  We
had an extra program that we felt was an excellent program, but did not
qualify as a U-T program by itself by virtue of the fact that it would
be only of interest to a few members on our list.

Our main offering this week is a small, but quite useful app to control
your computer's sound volume:

VolumeTray
----------

>From the web site:

<quote>
VolumeTray is a little utility that allows you to adjust volume by
several ways:

* by clicking with your left or right (volume up/down) mouse button on
  the icon in the system tray
* through assigned system wide hot keys
* using command line parameters

VolumeTray supports all volume, recording and other audio mixer
controls (master volume, wave, midi, line-in, etc) available in
Windows. You can use it instead of standard Windows speaker icon in
system tray. Also, you have ability to launch Windows default or custom
defined Volume Control and Multimedia Control Panel applications from
VolumeTray utility. VolumeTray have a icons schemes support. Using
icons schemes you can change system tray icons look of VolumeTray.
Also, you can make your own icons scheme.

<endquote>

Yes, you can download or make extra mini-skins (icons) to change the
look of your VolumeTray in the system tray.  Pretty cool. :-)

Dennis makes these comments about the program:

"I have always had the little yellow [Volume] icon in my systray.  No
longer.  I will use VolumeTray.  This is the way volume control should
have been.  If you like to have access to the volume control via the
tray, then you will want this little app."

Okay here are the particulars:

Author or company: Slava Glory / Glory Soft

URL of the author's Main Web site: http://glory.nm.ru/

URL of the download page: http://glory.nm.ru/vlt_download.html

The download file is only 479 KB.  You have two choices of locations
from which to download the file.

Requirements to install and run the program:

As far as I can tell the only requirement is to have one of these OS's:
Microsoft Windows 95, 98, NT4, 2000.

Since this is a Russian site, it may load slowly for some of our
members, at first.

Enjoy! :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay...tadaaaa....we have a second offering for the technically bent on
our list who still makes great use of DOS commands for their .bat files
and their file management requirements...

xxcopy
------

xxcopy is a command app to replace the MS copy command (which is part
of the command.com structure), as well as superceding MS's xcopy and
xcopy32 commands as well as the MS robocopy command given as part of
the Microsoft's Windows NT/2000 Resource Kit.  xxcopy has them all
beat, hands down.

The features of xxcopy are way to many to list here, given the fact
that we are doing two programs this week.  For those on the list that
makes use of DOS commands for their .bat files or for file management
duties, we think you will be pleased with this program and make great
use of it.  Please visit the web site and read about all the things
xxcopy will do for you.

The xxcopy command will run in Windows in a DOS prompt window, in a
command line or run as part of a .bat script.  And of course, you can
use it when you shell out to DOS.

xxcopy comes in both freeware and shareware flavors, but Dennis
believes the freeware version is more than sufficient for all your
needs.

The author gives tons of support for his program.  His web site is full
of helpful FAQs and Guides and the author has a mailing list at
Yahoogroups.

Okay, here are the particulars:

Author or company: Pixelab, Inc

URL of the author's Main Web site:
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy/index.html

URL of the file to download:
http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy/index.html#tag_04

You have two choices of download locations.  It is about a 25 KB
download.

Requirements to install and run the program:
This should run on: Win95/98/ME/NT/2000

We hope that the members on our U-T list that might be interested in
this second program, enjoy it. :-)

Alan S. Harrell for himself and Dennis Cummins
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.ashlists.org/useful-things