Thanks - that's good to know.  That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I guess the issue now is to figure out what type of query in ibatis is
causing the memory leak.  And there is absolutely no doubt that the
culprit is ibatis.  JDBC with the same query left no residue of memory
leaks.  And rearranging the query by eliminating the groupBy clause in
the ibatis xml file eliminated 90% of the memory leak.  Also, straight
forward query from one table that returns millions of rows from ibatis
yielded NO memory leaks.  So there's something about joins but more
significantly - group by clause.  My guess is that ibatis must be using
some sort of a Map to implement the groupBy clause and is simply letting
it grow indefinitely.

One more bit of information.  Just throwing an Exception alone in the
"handleRow" will not get you out of the "loop".  I had to issue
"sqlMap.endConnection()" to force the calling routine within ibatis to
throw a NullPtrException in order to exit.  If anybody has any other
ideas, I'd appreciate it.  It does work but it's very ugly.