I too have used RH'ers over very large data sets and never saw any memory
issues.  Be careful when issuing statements like "And there is absolutely no
doubt that the culprit is ibatis".   I can't tell you how many times we have
seen claim of ibatis failures only to find our that it was not.

Give us some actual code and test cases that cause this issue.

Nathan