> >VSL materials can be hard to grasp
>
> That kinda worries me. In Real3D there is  material window with
> sliders for
> the material properties (Effect, Brilliance, Transparency etc), and I like
> that. Now it sounds as if in Realsoft3D to make the same adjustments you
> need to apply programming skills instead of moving sliders! Is that true?

Don't worry, the simple material properties are still easy to control with
colours or sliders.
It's just that there's no window filled with sliders and all. When you start
a new material from scratch you get an empty window. If you want a texture
on your object you must drop in a texture object first before you can assign
a texture to it. Several wizards are available to create basic controls like
clor, transparency etc.
It's just that there's a lot more power available now. If you want to
control that area it's more complex indeed. There's a lot of examples to
start new materials from.

> And do you get a paper manual when you buy on internet, on the Realsoft
> site?

The paper manual is separate, but the printed manual is the same as the html
manual that comes with the download.

> >You don't mention what your needs are.
>
> I am an artist specialized in making still life scenes. Most of the time I
> combine photographs, Real3D, Photoshop and Painter to get to the desired
> result. Then I print it for exhibition and sale purposes.

I'm using the same tools as you do, to create still images (beside real
oilpaint). And IMHO the update is defenitaly worth it. But why don't you try
the demo first?

Arjo.