My little boy uses aviscreen classic (freeware) to capture video from the screen for school projects - http://www.bobyte.com/ I'm using Microsoft Movie Maker2 with 9 year olds and they can cope with it. PCAdvisor UK Feb edition had a ULead video editor on the cover disk - it looks more competent than Movie Maker but I haven't tried it.

We use Bink and Smack (radgametools.com) to do any batch conversions - my digital camera only does .mov which Microsoft Movie Maker won't recognise for some strange reason. Anyway, Bink and Smack converts satisfactorily.

Geo

Aidan O Driscoll wrote:

Hi Guys,

Re - video / audio / screen capture for tutorial vids, here are some ideas. Free where possible:

*Windows Media Encoder (free) - specific to windows though:
*http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

I have not tried this out, but I am sure if one uses the WME the output will be WMV, one could then convert the WMV to any other format.

*Wink [ as others here have pointed out ]:
*http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

This app makes screen grab files for tutorials. Not sure if it does audio.

*Audacity:
*http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Freeware Audio editor

*Wax:
*http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

is a high performance and flexible video compositing and special effects software. May be possible to use to combine the video and audio files????

ONES THAT COST:

*Bulent's Screen Recorder 3:
*http://www.thesilver.net/index.htm

Not free, but does the lot it seems - $24 or so

*Capturewizpro:
*http://www.pixelmetrics.com/CapWizPro/index.htm          $30

*1st Screen Recorder & Video Capture:           *
http://www.screenrecorder.us/ $30 - looks ideal and good

*Desktop Screen Record 5:
*http://www.recordscreen.com/                               $30

ANY ONE ELSE WHO CAN SUGGEST = F R E E = APPS FOR MAKING SCREENGRAB TUTORIALS ????

Cheers