To: <user-list@light.realsoft3d.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 12:54 PM
Subject: Lead a Horse to Water was : some :-)) and more "beginner" tutorials ;-)

Hi Neil :

  Man , that is some huge post of good info . I really have to
ask , however , with a little imagination could you not have
used some of this info in a very small tutorial ?

  You say no need for a tute , then you write this big long
email (that will disappear forever into the void in a matter of
days) . Except for the few people who actually took the time to
read the whole thing , it's very close to being a wasted efort ,
compared to a tiny HTML tute that is sitting comfortably on a
few servers around the world .

  Thanks very much for your time , but I don't really have any-
plans to print anything right now (I'll hang onto your mail) .

 HTML tute's ... they're free , they have a long shelf life ,
they're entertaining to read (even if you just look at the pict-
ures ...) , they are always there for newcomers to learn from ,
or help longtime community members upgrade their skills .

 Let me put it this way ... what if I had just wrote about my
cool experience with RS displacement mapping in an email ? How
much would that have helped anyone compared to the experience of
doing a step-by-step learning experience ?
http://www.studiodynamics.net/tutes/planet1.html

  Then again , I'm amazed at how  much I actually learned simply
because I wanted to try and make the tute interesting to others .

  It's a win-win-win situation when someone actually makes the
commitment to teach others effectively .

(rant-mode / off)

studio
www.niagara.com/~studio
www.studiodynamics.net

Hi Garry,

No tutorial needed since the way to render as "bmp" is all that is needed
and is in "render options" as well as the manual. Get your models done, line
up the lights, set your "camera" and render to file as bmp. Tutorial
finished.

Print requirements depend entirely on printing device/machine. The people
who know exactly the optimum file parameters are the people (the Printers)
who own and run each device. Go to those people for file parameters. This
answer could profitably stop right there but here's some more anyway.

So, render to bmp in RealSoft. Convert to whatever the Printers want or let them do so if needed. Render large file sizes since these can be reduced if necessary at little or no loss in sharpness (resolution) but small files can not be so easily enlarged without image distortions like pixellation, etc.,
showing.

However don't be scared, if all you have is a small image lifted from a
website then that's all you have. Massage it as much as you can in Photoshop or whatever (I use PhotoPaint) and get on with it. The rule is simple what you are looking at will be what is printed unless someone messes up and they
usually dont.

For USA Letter size paper and A4 the usual for Offset is about 300dpi so
files over 25 megs have more than enough information for top results.

DPI means Dots per Inch, it more or less means pixels per inch, therefore
with a calculator in hand you can sort out the dpi for anything you need.

A small confusion might occur if you dig deeper and come across LPI which is an old screen ruling term that Platemakers used when converting photographs
to printed dots. These days just let the Printer worry about this side of
things since there are optimum rulings for each of the machines on his
factory floor plus, if the file is clean enough he might run stochastic
ruling which is fun. A good machine will easily handle 175 lpi but unless
it's newsprint, flexographics (on cartons usually) or silk screen dont
accept anything less than 133 lpi.

A small trick here is a frequency clash that can happen between a printed
image that has been printed using dots (LPI) and the reprinting of a scan of
that again using dots ... the effect is called moire and can be a horror.
Best to press the "remove moire" button in PhotoShop after scanning before handing it over to the Printer ... except they will usually see what's going
on and fix it or hand it back to you for fixing.

The file size is the total dot/pixel count multiplied by the number of
channels multiplied by the information type in the channels used ... CMYK
used Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black which is four channels and if it is in 32 bit format then .. etc. RGB used three channels and is generally 24 bit. Straight "Line Art", or Black and White is One Bit ... so yes, these can be very very high resolution with relatively small file sizes ... I usually run Line Art files at no less than 600 dpi. Greyscale is generally 8 bit ... an 8 bit pixel object can carry 256 values of grey from white through to black.

So, you might want the render to fill an A4, you will render to bmp as
mentioned. Your camera aspect ratio will be 1.41 (if the A4 is portrait
format and 0.71 if it's landscape) ... I use 1.5 and 0.75 so that I can crop the image if I want to ... anyway, rough enough. A long edge pixel count of
8000 is heaps ... which more or less gives 8000 x  5600 total of 44 megs,
almost double the necessary and unless I've been really extravagant with
materials and lights etc the render times are easily sorted over night.

Don't worry about CMYK or RGB since most conversion systems these days are
good enough and again either shift the file or have the printer do so if
need be. The RealSoft bmp's are RGB and I have only one service house that
asks me to shift it into CMYK TIFs.

I use High Quality and Press Quality default specifications in Acrobat to
make pdf's a lot. The magazines that my clients advertise in and the offset Printers I use all ask for pdf's. These folk will be able to tell you where
to download their favouirite pdf specs which you run in Acrobat from the
"job option" menu.

Sign writers are all over the place with what they need in file formats
however this is settling down a bit more now except for folk with older
gear.

But if you're doing the side of a truck then treat it as a very very large
file until the people you end up using to do the job tell you to reduce
(resample) it downwards. Obviously if you can do the image on the truck at 300dpi then it will look ridiculously sharp (high resolution) but the file
would be several gigs. On the other hand if you havent rendered it large
enough then the beauty of RealSoft is that you can go back in and re-render it at a higher pixel count, no problem ... apart from the additional days it
might add to the job).

Anyway, as I said at the start, talk to whoever is going to be doing the
Printing, believe me they want you to ask them since they want to be sure
you have every chance to dazzle your clients with a job well done and this
starts with optimising the file to suit the machines.

I think that's most of the nuts and bolts covered. So far as TV is concerned
refer to a post at the start of 2004 in reply to my enquiry, it had the
whole story. So far as feature films are concerned ... can anyone shed light on that ... nope, I'll just talk to the film folk when I'm ready to get into
it.

Hope this is in the right direction, sing out if you think I might be able
to help more.

Neil Cooke

----- Original Message ----- From: "studio" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>