Hello,
Just a a quick thought.
I will start by saying I am not a character animator in the least.
An idea stemming from my work with RealGreebleZ! (next much expanded
version very soon) and the application of varying amount of randomness
to calculations. This same sort of controllable randomness (oxymoron?)
could be applied to cyclic type motions such a as walking, this would be
similar to point four but could be in addition to it, with more detailed
control. Anyway if I am not being clear, the result would be a walk
cycle that would be continuously varied  within limits set by the user.
Perhaps this would be best applied on a per joint basis.

Cheers,
Zaug

--
My love of the  halfling's leaf has clearly slowed my mind.
8?o