Hi Matthias,

thanks for the reply by the way. But it is still posible with Blender to Realsoft. It appears this whole idea of export for low poly but Hi rez looking meshes is a hot topic at the Blender forums. Two phrases keep popping up - Tangent Space and Normal Maps - I am confused - so if anyone wishes to attempt a dummies guide for the rest of us - bring it on.

WHY? well, to get a sculpted mesh out of the likes of Blender which is free OR silo which is as cheap as chips into REALSOFT. As we know RS has a hard time with heavy poly count meshes at the moment. Matthias, with your understanding of this, any chance of a workflow from Blender to RS using the following FREE app -

http://www.xnormal.net/

OR if one is in Linux land - http://rptd.dnsalias.net/epsylon/denormgen.php [ not sure how good this is ]

Here is a thread at the Blender Forums about Tangent Normal Maps -
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89019&highlight=xnormal

Then one on Normal Maps -
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96396&highlight=xnormal

Read this too - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=91&t=502675 Talks of Tangent Space and Normal Maps and Blender Sculpts to other apps. All using OBJ.

Anyway - would appreciate some of you Gurus to knock heads on this. Particularly from Blender to RS, as Blender IS free. The description at the linux app site above is nice -

"The DENormGen is a tool designed to help you create Geometry Normal Maps. Such maps are used in high-end Games to fool the Player into believing that a Low Resolution Mesh does have much more detail than it actually does. Those kind of Normal Maps are best generated using a High Resolution Mesh from which the Normal Informations is extracted and projected onto the Low Resolution Mesh. This tool provides exactly this functionality."

Cheers
Aidan